Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Dreams From Long Ago

Beauty is my obsession.

Ever since I was 13 and started wearing a bit of nail polish and my Bonne Bell Lipsmackers, cosmetics have been my hobby. When my friends would come over to my house, I'd always pull out the nail polish and make homemade face masks out of oatmeal and honey (disastrous!). At 17 when I was going to graduate from high school, my friend Katie and I had plans to live in London (Ontario) and go to cosmetology school together. My ultimate dream was to do makeup for celebrities or learn special-effects makeup for sci-fi television shows and movies.

But then reality set in and the need for a "steady" job began to rear its ugly head, so I graduated from college with a somewhat more practical degree in History. (And what do you do with that degree, you ask? Turns out, not much actually)

Fast forward to NOW.

I have been an administrative assistant for the past 6 1/2 years. It's steady work. It's a decent income. It's responsible.

But at the end of the day I still come home and put on a face mask and give myself a mani-pedi. Sephora is my home away from home. I obsessively eBay-surf for all my favorite cosmetics at discount prices.

So I guess it comes as no surprise that I have been thinking long and hard about getting my esthetician's license! For years, my friends and family members have commented that it would be the perfect profession for me. The more I think about it, I think they are spot on! It's the only thing that I LOVE and can't imagine tiring of. It gives you the space to be creative, to pamper people, and to grow professionally.

My goal for the next several months is to save as much money as I can and then apply to attend Aveda Institute in the late spring/early summer. Preferably somewhere along the East Coast, where my heart truly lies! (yeah, Denver, not so much. But thats another topic and another looooong ramble).

1 comment:

  1. Do it! Have faith in yourself and you will MAKE it happen!
    It is wonderful to have the support and encouragement of family and friends, but as you just said about caring too much what others think, the only validation you need is from yourself. 
    This is a wonderful plan, make it happen for you.

    Peace, Love & Travel
    Amber
    www.nowpanicandfreakout.com

    ReplyDelete